Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mom and Dad - finally redeem themselves from buying the Dining Room furniture!

We all know that I am a HUGE New Kids on the Block fan (go Joe!). When I was 12, I begged my mom to send me on the New Kids on the Block cruise (to the tune of probably 3,000 dollars or so). Naturally they said no. But my mom said it was because we didn't have the money. The next week (really, the very next week) she went out and bought a whole new dining room suite. I was so mad! In fact, I harbored this grudge for a long time. Like, forever.

Skip ahead 22 years...New Kids reunite and there is an opportunity to meet the boys!! This time, mom and dad pulled through in a major way! Dad surprised Mindy and I with VIP tickets to the concert - which included a meet and greet with them! It was completely surreal and one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I just wish I had planned better how I was going to react and what I was going to say.

Before it was out turn to go in, Mindy says, "Now Steph, you cannot cry and you cannot say you love them." Well hell. I didn't think I was going to cry, but now she had me worried. And if I can't say I love them, what am I going to say?! See below to see my remarkable interaction with the guys so you can really understand the memorable impression I left.

To Danny: "Thank you for having us." (This is code for I think I am meeting my grandmother's friend and I am such a polite southern girl). From Danny, no response.

To Donnie: "You single-handedly got me through junior high." (Not even true! So stupid!) From Donnie: "No, you got you through."

To Jonathan: Nothing. (Clearly the first two exchanges had left me speechless.) From Jonathan: Nothing.

To Joe: "Always my favorite. Y'all are gonna rock it tonight." (This doesn't need any interpretation. It's just plain dumb!) From Joe: HE PUT HIS ARM AROUND ME AND KEPT IT THERE FOR LIKE 20 SECONDS! We basically go married. Even if he was talking a whole lot about the hype of the show.

To Jordan: "Y'all look a lot skinnier in person than you do on tv." (Like I watch them on TV! Who says that??)

So overall, I am really happy they meet hundreds of girls at every show. They won't remember me. You know what it means, though? Dad and mom will have to send me again so I can be better prepared and redeem myself!

THANKS MOM AND DAD FOR THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE!!

1 comment:

Barbara Eads said...

So glad you enjoyed it! Next time I'll help you with your awkward conversation!